Strength and Support for Our Soldiers

My little brother is a Marine and has served in Kuwait and Iraq. He's teaching me so much about freedon, and faith. I am constantly praying for his safety. I am relentlessly pleading with God to keep his spirits high, and his courage strong. I hope that he feels my love and support no matter where he is in the world.
I know these feelings are not mine alone. In this day and age, we all have a family member or friend serving our country. Many of us know of someone's father, husband, wife, mother, brother or sister, or worse, someone's son or daughter, that has died serving our country. As a nation, we are grieving and celebrating all at once. It's a surreal feeling.
We all differ on our policital views, we all have mixed feelings on the War in Iraq. But I think we can all agree on one thing. We want our troops to be safe and sound. We want our troops to return home with honor. We want to support them one way or another. This is why I am creating this blog. I want to dedicate it to all the men and women who are serving our country, who have served our country, and to those that WILL serve our country. I want this to be a place for people to praise their friends and family, to share in the heartache of losing someone, a place to vent and share the emotions felt nationwide. Our nation has been rocked by the war, and again, regardless of our different feelings about it, we could all use a little support.
Please share your stories and photos with us! I would like to post your stories on my blog. Email your stories, thoughts and feelings, and pictures to SupportAllSoldiers@gmail.com

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Divided, I Pledge


We are approaching 9/11 again, and as I try to do every year, I am reflecting and remembering that day. In years past, I have usually been comforted and find myself calm when I think of the atrocities we faced that day, the terrorism on our soil; the lives lost for a cause unclear. I mentally replay the second plane hitting the World Trading Center and still, the calmness holds. The price we paid that day was deeper than any pocket book could imagine, financially, emotionally, mentally; but as it often happens, from a terrible event came an amazing recovery. Our nation rose from the flames like the Phoenix; stronger, heroic and united. We put our differences aside or at least on hold, and for a brief moment in history, as a nation, we saw the whole picture. It wasn’t about Republican and Democrats, liberals or conservatives, red vs. blue, or right vs. left. It was about unity, U.S. citizens, our freedoms and our love for this wonderful country.

That was the past. This year, as I look back on 9/11 and reflect where our nation is today, I am filled with emotions very contradictive to the previous years. I’m filled with anger, frustration, sadness and disdain. I question what has brought forth such wrath in our nation’s citizens. With a new (and first black) president in office, our country has been so divided, so cruel to one another that I have to admit, there have been times I wished I wasn’t an American citizen. (Moment of weakness, people, don’t over-react)! The “Talking Heads” and the media push and pull us to decide. They seem to be screaming at us to pick a team! Left or right?! For, or against the president? Yes or no to reforming health care? Yay or nay for equality in gay rights? Choose! You MUST choose! Caution to those in the middle trying to keep level heads, trying to keep open minds! This will only come across as weakness and label you “flexible” with morals. Gray is bad! It’s black or white, folks!


I’m so sick of it. I’m sick of everyone using someone else’s platform to express their own thoughts and feelings. I don’t mind we all use our Facebook, Blogs, Twitter and Myspace to express our thoughts but I find it highly inappropriate and juvenile to rush to someone ELSE’S page to throw a condescending political comment on their wall attacking the user’s thoughts/platform. I tend to post what I’m thinking at the moment, and though it is often political, I try to keep an open mind…but even this launches into people jumping on the attack and either agreeing, or disagreeing with my thoughts, starting small political warfare on my space that brings total disregard to my initial thoughts.


I’m sick of people being so negative, attacking even the most innocent of comments. I’m sick of hearing people disrespecting the president. I don’t care if you are for or against him. He is the president. IT, (not HE) is an office to be respected. I feel like most everyone is acting like a child throwing a tizzy-fit when they don’t get their way.

Everyone wants to blame this president for the current state of our nation. This must be his fault. Everyone wants to point a finger, waving it from the left and waving it from the right. Everyone wants to find someone to blame; does pointing that finger fix anything? NO. People have become so ignorant, so unaware. They no longer look for the facts themselves. As long as some “Talking Head” they like says it, it becomes true. If it’s an email chain sent from a friend, it must be valid. If they find it on the Internet, it must be credible!

Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future.” John F Kennedy.

We are divided. There is a crack between all of us that has grown into a vast canyon. Our fellowship and solidarity to one another no longer exists, unless it’s on the same party line. The “good Samaritan” has gone missing. Our neighborly efforts go unattended. This is why I mourn, feel desperate and disappointed.

So, on the eve of 9/11, I pledge to make a solid effort in being uplifting in these weary times. I want to be a light when the world is dark around me. I want to be filled with peace, and support our president. I have FAITH this man came into power for a reason. Be that good, or bad, it is a reason known only to my God. But he has our best interest in place and I ask you to have faith as well. Pledge with me to stop the hate, stop the slamming and instead, welcome opinions of all kind. Welcome wholesome conversation challenging us to be better. Try to be positive in your thoughts, words and actions.

I pledge to be respectful of all people, including President Barack Obama and I ask you to join me. Remember 9/11 with me and remember the unity we felt after the attacks. Find that again. Pledge to bring the feeling of camaraderie back. If you oppose the president, or the way the government is running, be more than a negative voice in the sea of pessimistic people. Get your facts straight and take action rather than attacking those who think differently. Make a difference in this world with your actions rather than empty words and be respectful when disagreeing with someone. You’ll be surprised to find you have friends on both sides of the fence and you may come to appreciate their differences because it vindicates you in your own differences.



I pledge to NEVER FORGET.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I pledge to never forget too J!!!!