Strength and Support for Our Soldiers

My little brother is a Marine and has served in Kuwait and Iraq. He's teaching me so much about freedon, and faith. I am constantly praying for his safety. I am relentlessly pleading with God to keep his spirits high, and his courage strong. I hope that he feels my love and support no matter where he is in the world.
I know these feelings are not mine alone. In this day and age, we all have a family member or friend serving our country. Many of us know of someone's father, husband, wife, mother, brother or sister, or worse, someone's son or daughter, that has died serving our country. As a nation, we are grieving and celebrating all at once. It's a surreal feeling.
We all differ on our policital views, we all have mixed feelings on the War in Iraq. But I think we can all agree on one thing. We want our troops to be safe and sound. We want our troops to return home with honor. We want to support them one way or another. This is why I am creating this blog. I want to dedicate it to all the men and women who are serving our country, who have served our country, and to those that WILL serve our country. I want this to be a place for people to praise their friends and family, to share in the heartache of losing someone, a place to vent and share the emotions felt nationwide. Our nation has been rocked by the war, and again, regardless of our different feelings about it, we could all use a little support.
Please share your stories and photos with us! I would like to post your stories on my blog. Email your stories, thoughts and feelings, and pictures to SupportAllSoldiers@gmail.com

Monday, July 14, 2008

The Few...The Proud

I pulled this from my personal blog:

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Few, The Proud...



I got to talk to my littlest brother, Blaine today! Blaine is a Marine, serving over in Iraq/Kuwait. It was so great to hear his voice! I had a hard time holding back tears! I thought I would share a little of our conversation because I asked a hundred questions :) maybe questions we've all wondered, and I got some answers! Blaine said it is HELL over there, literally. It's an average of 120 F degrees in the day, and barely dropping at night. He said he drinks around 7-8 liters of water out in the desert each day. When he was in Bahrain, he was able to bulk up a little bit. He said he looked huge, but now that he's in that weather sweating all the time, he's lost it. No matter how much food and water he puts down - he's still losing all his weight! Poor kid! Luckily, he sleeps in an air conditioned room - which he keeps FREEZING
...


I would too.Blaine said the Kuwaiti/Iraqi people are very kind, generous, and respectful. He kind of expected a bunch of crazy, angry terrorists, but has found that those are rare, and for the most part, the people are grateful and kind to each other, and the soldiers. He said if you show any interest in their stuff, they will want you to have it! You like something, it's yours. Even the children will do this. If they are playing with a toy and you look interested in it, they will want you to have it. If you refuse to take it, then it's offensive! Blaine said luckily he hasn't collected any of their stuff :) He said they are actually treated better there in Kuwait, than they were treated at Camp Pendleton. They can eat as much as they like, where in CP they were only allowed thru the food line ONCE. They have a movie theater and watch whatever they can get on DVD - or bootlegged :) They have a few places to eat, like a Burger King, but they rarely do. They have phones and Internet, but it's usually pretty crowded with everyone trying to call family or read emails. His cell phone doesn't work over there, he figures it's because all cell phones have a GPS tracking system in them, so the base probably shuts all of those off.It wouldn't be Blaine if he didn't try some crazy things....like say....eating a CAMEL SPIDER!!??!?!?!

He was dared to eat this lethal spider, and well, who can back down from that?! Before seeing a picture of it, I asked him what they look like. He said - imagine if a scorpion and spider mated...you get a camel spider! GROSS. He said they taste bitter, and a little tangy, and it feels like you're chewing on frosted flakes..........UMMMM GROSS........

On a heavier note....He has taken the howitzer into Iraq 4 times.

He said they roll these in when it's time for the "big guns". The reality of firing these off is difficult, and I could tell he was reserved in what he told me. He said he's having a hard time sleeping. When I asked why, I could tell he was a little lost for words. He said it's really stressful over there. There is a lot going on that he can't talk about, but it stresses him and it's emotionally, physically, and mentally draining. Luckily, he has made a few really good friends, and they are all going through this together.They are still expecting to come home on Nov 4 (a great Bday present I told him!) but he said he'll believe it when it happens. Haha- this was funny....He said "it's like going to work with dad on the farm. If dad says, "Ok, we gotta irrigate this field and that field and then we're done" and then at the end of the day you're in Napa buying parts for the tractor...and you don't know what the hell for!" It changes every day and they take it one day at a time. So - he rather not hold his breath for Nov 4.

He said the 4th of July over there was pretty cool. They had a BBQ. The steaks were cold, the chicken was cold, the ribs were cold, and all the drinks were hot :) Typical desert dinner. But that night, they shot off the howitzers and guns, and the helicopters shot of missiles. It was as close to fireworks as one could imagine! He thought a lot about home on the 4th, and I told him we were all thinking about him, and this year, I think the 4th was a little different for everyone. It wasn't just another day off of work with a BBQ and party, it was a day reserved to give thanks to our little Budgee and all the soldiers that fight for our rights that we are lucky to take advantage of.I love Blaine and I am so proud of him for serving our country. I know that when he signed up for the Marines he wasn't imagining doing what he is doing right now, but he has never complained about his decision to serve our country. He said he's learning how much he took things for granted, and I'm so grateful for his willingness to learn and grow from this experience. I know our Heavenly Father loves all of us, and I know He is watching over BJ. I know our prayers will be answered with his safe return home for Christmas. I know BJ will be able to endure the hardships he's facing because he has the Lord by his side. I know our thoughts and prayers are felt by BJ. I know he is comforted by our love and support. I know that through this tough time, BJ will grow closer to the Savior, as will the rest of us, as we rely on Him to protect our little brother. God bless ALL the soldiers who are so willing to fight for our freedoms!

No comments: